On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:20:10 +0700, Frank Farance wrote:

> In Win98, my date/time preferences are set to ISO format:

>         YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS

> Why don't they appear that way in the received/created columns?

Is this a TB! setting or a windows setting? The Bat! shows message
dates in a particular format which can't be changed, as far as I know
and that is DD-Month-YYYY HH:MM. I personally prefer it this way since
it's absolutely clear.

> For today's messages, why don't they have today's date?

Today's messages will only show the time. The absence of the date
indicates that the message was sent today. It's a nice way of giving
them a distinct appearance.

> How do I edit the "new message template"? ... there isn't any
> information in the Help file. Try searching for "edit".

Are you speaking of the Inbox's new message templates?
    Account | Properties | Templates | New Message

or are you speaking about the folder specific new message template?
    Right click the folder in question, select properties and then the
    'template' tab.

or are you speaking of the address book entry specific new message
template?
    Open the address book. Right click the desired recipients entry,
    select properties and then 'new message.'

> How do I turn of the feature that marks my messages as "read" if I
> leave the cursor on the message list for more than one second? (I
> actually didn't read the message, I was just scrolling for incoming
> messages.)

If you have a new message body displayed, it will be marked as read in
a user defined period of time. Go to Account | Properties | Options
and customise the option "Time of reading to mark a message as read".

That setting appears to be too short for you.

> The "received" time is wrong, it should be the time my POP server
> receives the E-mail, not the time of the download from POP.

I realize what you're saying but whether or not TB!'s way of doing it
is right? I don't know?

> How do I look at all the headers? There is no way to do this,
> according to the Help.

Shift + Cntrl + K

> How do I turn off the animation of the bat in the task bar?

When all your messages are marked as read then the animation will
stop. :)

> When I move the cursor in down a line:

>         line 1: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sssPss    xxxxxxx
>         @                          !
>         line 3: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sssQss    xxxxxxx
>                                    ^

> The cursor is at P and I hit down-arrow to line 2 (which has no
> characters, just a newline) and the cursor should be at "@", but is
> actually at "!". In other words, the cursor motion doesn't work like
> all other text fields in Windows products.

That's courtesy of the free caret interface, an unorthodox but
powerful interface, in my opinion. You may place the caret anywhere
and start typing. It makes creating tables or doing complicated
formatting a snap. It's all a matter of what you're used to.

> Attachments of duplicate names get created as "abcdef.ext" ==>
> "abcdef.ext.1". This causes Win9x *not* to recognize the file type
> and I have to manually rename my attachments.

I don't know about this.

> I can't turn off sending my initials in replies, i.e., "FF> " should
> be "> " ... I've set "none" in the Reply dialog, but this doesn't
> work.

If you are speaking of going to Account | properties | templates |
reply and then selecting 'none' then mine works and I have no idea why
your shouldn't. :(

> When I copy an past text from another document, say a paragraph from
> MS-Word, I want to have the text automatically wrapped *for display*
> (not actually wrapped with embedded newlines) ... how do I set this?
> Autowrapping doesn't work ... and I don't want to manually wrap the
> lines because I want to E-mail receiver to have the same paragraph
> breaks.

You may manually rewrap the text and format it to your liking.

Autowrapping will not work in a copy and paste operation as far as I
know.

> Why doesn't CTRL-R reply for messages, like Eudora? How do I
> customize this?

Because this isn't Eudora? :)

You'll be able to customize shortcuts in the upcoming version2
release.

> Wrapping is according to the "right margin value", but where is this
> set? It is not in the help?

Options | editor preferences | Wrap text at ...

> Overall, there is only one feature of "the bat" that is
> significantly better than Eudora light: automatic recognition of
> embedded UUENCODED files. Otherwise, there are too many problems
> (unless you all have fixes to the above list ... all discovered in
> an hour's worth of use ... what other bugs are waiting?).

The Bat! is quite an unorthodox client with respect to many of the
user interface features. Many of the orthodox ways are inferior in my
opinion to TB!'s way especially with regard to the editor. If you are
resistant to trying something that's implemented differently, then TB!
is probably not for you.

None of what you sited, except for the duplicated attachments naming,
are really bugs but features that are different for you. All that you
complained is not in the help files, are in fact in the help files as
well. :) Be more patient and the rewards will be great. :)))

--
Ali Martin                     |     Using The Bat! v1.38e
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      |     Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)

   [ Who's General Failure, and why is he reading my disk? ]
____