Hi Alexander V. Kiselev,

On Mittwoch, 22. Dezember 1999 at 15:14:05 you wrote:

>> That's  what  I'll  support,  too.  I'm  not against the idea of using
>> variable  width  fonts  (although that's where any email formatting is
>> killed  instantly.  Ever  sent  a  formatted,  maybe  tabular, mail to
>> someone using Netscape?).

AVK> First: Netscape uses fixed-width font for mail and news
AVK> _by_default_, but this can be customized. Means that your
AVK> example is a lousy one:-)

But Netscape is a good example for these two points:

1) When  users  (who  usually don't care or know about any history of
   email)  are given the ability to customize, they customize. Anyway,
   when  I  last used Netscape, at least the rich text mail editor was
   also  active  by  default.  You just have to write one word bold or
   whatever  and  click  away  that  annoying message saying something
   you  don't  understand  about  HTML, to send a perfectly unreadable
   message to someone on an ascii terminal.

2) Programs that try to be more intelligent than the user only add up
   to  the  confusion. (Example conversation: Me: "Please stop sending
   me HTML-Mail, I can't read anything." Someone else: "Huh?!? What is
   HTML-Mail?")

AVK> Second. Usually, *I* prefer variable-width fonts just because
AVK> they look better IMHO, and (the major point) the screen real
AVK> estate is saved. But whenever I receive a message with ASCII
AVK> art, or tabulars, or such, in Pegasus I can temporarily switch
AVK> the font (with F12) for this particular message to fixed-width
AVK> one.

That  might  be some solution to the ever-present problem. But I still
have to see a single email message that looks better in variable-width
font.  I  have  only  ever seen that when two people communicating use
exactly  the  same  mail  client. Those mails are either not formatted
correctly  (meaning  lines  are at maximum 76 letters in length, as it
says  in  the  netiquette  (that  user  above  in  point  2:  "Huh?!?
Netiwhat?")) or they look awful as suddenly all lines are of very much
different length.

OK,  I  already said I don't mind an option to switch to whatever font
someone  likes.  Personally  I've  always  been a little allergic when
people  try  to  change a perfectly functioning system like email. And
that's  what  it's  all  about. When using variable-width fonts in The
Bat!  becomes  possible,  half  the  messages  on  this  list  will be
unreadable, IMHO.

Oliver Sturm

--
Oliver Sturm / <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Key ID: 71D86996
Fingerprint: 8085 5C52 60B8 EFBD DAD0  78B8 CE7F 38D7 71D8 6996