On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 02:47:37 +0100, Michael Heydekamp wrote:

[....]
> Now to the next formatting issue: What exactly does "Auto-format" (same
> preference section as "justify on wrap") do?

This is one beast that may very well infuriate you more than anything
else. :)

My secret is to keep it disabled by default, get really acquainted
with the toggle switch Shift+Ctrl+F, and enable it when I need it.

You may notice that if you type some text, it gets wrapped at your
defined right margin limit. Now, if you start inserting text within
one of these wrapped lines, everything begins getting messed up and
the wrapping is all helter-skelter. The autoformat feature prevents
this, which sounds wonderful.

Unfortunately you have to play by some rules and work within certain
constraints with it enabled. It's these rules and constraints that
make you either not use it or get acquainted with the toggle switch.

a) It is impossible
   to type this with
   autoformat enabled. You have
   to just try it to see what
   I'm talking about.
   Hard returns made before the predefined line limit are all ignored.

b) Your paragraphs need to be separated by a blank line or else the
autoformat feature will format your paragraphs into one big paragraph.
This is done without regard for previously formatted text which may be
just below where you are typing and this includes quoted material.
Alt+L works in a similar fashion but at least it works only when you
hit it so you usually make sure things are in order before using it.

Just to illustrate this point, enable the autoformat feature and place
the cursor just above a paragraph of quoted text, or any paragraph for
that matter. At the first keystroke, the paragraph gets reformatted to
include the text which you are typing!

You therefore have to ensure that a blank line is above and below
where you are typing to prevent this very disconcerting effect. :)

Hey Tracer!!!

I see that you cannot use Alt+L or autoformat because you don't
separate your personal text from the quotes by a blank line. If you
hit alt+l serious effects would occur. :)))))))

--
Ali Martin                     |     Using The Bat! v1.38e
 mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]      |     Windows NT 4.0 (Service Pack 6)

   [ A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation. ]
____