Hallo Lionel,

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 12:58:45 +0100 GMT (06.01.2000, 19:58 +0800 GMT),
Lionel Elie Mamane wrote:

LEM> You  can  telnet to the POP server and send the POP commands "by hand"
LEM> ;-) Like that:
[...]

I see they have improved - you couldn't do that "back then". :-)

TF>> That was one, the other one was that you couldn't do anything -
TF>> anything at all except pop-check your mail - without the cserve
TF>> software.

LEM> Hu?  If  you  set  up the correct log-in script in Win95/98/NT dial-up
LEM> networking,  you  can access the whole internet without the compuserve
LEM> software!  FTP,  ICQ,  Web, everything. This has been so for ages now.

That's not what I meant; see below. You are assuming I dialled into
Cserve's local access number, which I did not, because:
a.) their baud rate in Thailand was 2400 bps
b.) since I was registered in Germany, they would charge for the
international roaming.

LEM> And, ah, yes I remember what you are speaking about now. The
LEM> so-named "New Mail" system vs the old system you could access via
LEM> a TEXT menu, connecting to the compuserve network via an ASCII
LEM> (VT-100) emulation (like a BBS) (or telneting to
LEM> gateway.compuserve.com)!

Yup, that's the one. I had a DOS application for VT-100. ;-)

LEM> No,  you  can't  have text-based access AND the "New mail" system. The
LEM> "pure text" access seems to be, at least commercially, dropped now.

Even many "normal" ISP's won't let you work on the unix any more. When
I telnet into my Thai account, it will automatically start pine, and
quitting pine will automatically log you off. On ibm.net, "connection
refused" is the mantra. So Cserve is in line with the overall trend.
:-(

TF>> With  my  ISP's  (including  this  IBM.com), they limit the server
TF>> space  you can use, not the number of messages.

LEM> Compuserve  limits  both  now... Max 10MB/msg, max 30MB total, max 250
LEM> msgs.

Wow! 30MB server space is lot more than I have (between 1MB and 6MB
per mail account).

TF>> By  the  way,  can you FTP into your account and save files on the
TF>> server?

LEM> ?  Do  you  mean  on  your homepage? Maybe, I never tried to do my own
LEM> homepage. I can look it up if you wish.

No, I don't mean homepage. With my ISP's, I can ftp into my own
account (ftp connection to my domain name, and for login I use my
login ID instead of "anonymous", and as "password" my login password
instead of my email address), and voila, I can upload/download files
to my heart's content. Within the a.m. space limits, that is.

Alternatively, with the one ISP that still allows me to use the unix,
I can use unix' ftp command (or is it a programme?) into whereever
(for example www.ritlabs.com/pub/the_bat) and "get" files from there,
which will be copied to my home directory n the server - and I can
download them onto my PC at a later time. I do that when I need
updated progs on both my office and home computer; why do the
intercontinental twice? And downloading from my ocal ISP's server to
my home PC is also a lot faster anyway.

For downloading onto my PC, I forgot the rz/sz syntax (those VT-100
times are long gone), but for FTP whichever way, I am now very happy
with WinCommander (www.ghisler.com).

--

Cheers,
Thomas                             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.38e
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366 Mhz, 128MB RAM