> I am seriously considering buying an authorized copy ($99 from Newegg)
> of Windows 7 and trashing Windows 8 on this new machine.  I will
> contact ASUS tech support to see if the machine will even let me do
> that.

First  thing to do with any new PC is format the hard disk and install
the  OS yourself. Unbelievable the junk that gets pre-installed at the
factory.  Even more unbelievable that there is no CD for the OS in the
box.
Easy way to test before you buy Windows 7. Put any Linux Live CD in the
PC and see if it boots to Linux. If it doesn't, you may have to change
the boot order in the BIOS.

Adrian