Hello Achdut18,

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 14:16:45 -0500 GMT (13-Jul-20, 2:16 +0700 GMT),
Achdut18 wrote:

> I have TB set up to download mail via POP and leave mail on the
> server for 180 days.   (IMAP doesn't seem to play nicely with The
> Bat, and, in any event, for back-up purposes, I prefer to have my
> own copy of all e-mail so that it can then be backed up through my
> own back-up protocols.)    The reason for leaving mail on the server
> is to enable another computer, which is used more as a backup and is
> not used as frequently, to be able to download mail from the same
> accounts.  It also ensures that the mail is available for the cell
> phone.  For nearly 15 years this has worked just fine.  Today, I am
> now experiencing a situation in which TB is now attempting to
> download all ~4000 messages currently on the server and not just the
> new messages, of which there are are only less than a dozen.

Known bug, it happens rarely vbut does happen:
https://bt.ritlabs.com/view.php?id=1779

> (I have stopped the process before it downloads more than a few
> dozen, each time I try.) This just started happening today. Last
> night the download process was working properly.

Go to: Account / Dispatch Message on Server / All Messages
Wait for the mail dispatcher to show the list of headers, it can take
a few minutes. Then hit ctrl-2 to toggle the tickmark off the Received
column for all messages, and then hit enter.

Alternatively, you can let TB re-download all emails and then use
Folder / Delete Duplicates. But that will usully take longer.

> What is curious is that this only happens with one of three
> accounts that I have on the same server/webmail mail host.    These
> are NOT gmail accounts.   However, as an aside, I do not have this
> problem with any of the gmail accounts that I also have.

It happens with random accounts.

> What is causing this problem and how can I fix it?  Sure, I can
> download all 4000 messages and remove the duplicates, but (a) that
> takes time and (b) if the problem recurs I really need to known how to solve
> the problem

Sure. See above.

> I notice on the toolbar, under "Account," there is a command:
> "dispatch mail on server," and then there is a choice for either
> "new messages" (ctrl + F2) or "all messages."   (shift+ctrl+F2).
> Is it possible that this is the source of the problem and that I
> unwittingly pressed "shift+ctrl+F2" at some point?    Would merely
> pressing (ctrl+F2) fix this problem?

Well spotted. but this is not the problem, it is the solution. See
above.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! Version 9.2.1.3 (64-bit)
under Windows 10.0 Build 18362