On Tue, Aug 08, 2000 at 08:45:12AM +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> OTH, PGP 6.5.1.i is a 8.1mb download (i just did) and needs 15mb of hard
> disk space ...
> a S/MIME certificate is a couple of 100 bytes and just imports into the
> address book.  just sayin' ... it all depends on wether you got disk space
> or bandwidth to spare ;-)

    8.1Mb once for something reasonable or ~3k per message forever?  Hmmm...
After 2730 messages the SLIME signatures would take over.   Think that is a
lot?

    Here are the stats for the last 10 days on my machine.

Exim statistics from 2000-07-28 07:36:18 to 2000-08-06 07:35:12

Grand total summary
-------------------
                                                       At least one address
  TOTAL               Volume    Messages    Hosts      Delayed       Failed
  Received              21MB        6349      172     208  3.3%    220  3.5%
  Delivered             94MB       38419      394

    And later on we get to see where some of those messages are delivered to.

Top 50 local destinations by message count

   3342   10336340   grey
   2135    7289427   vamprys

    In 10 days I beat that 2730 messages easily and my roommate has come
close.

    Personally, give me PGP with its /option/ to send the cert in each message
(checked to OFF thank you with an electric shock upon people attempting to set
it on) and a small signature each message versus SLIME where, in wide use, a
larger volume day in and day out.