Hi ztrader,

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:47:03 -0700GMT (14/09/2000, 07:47 +0800GMT),
ztrader wrote:

z> (1) If I do that, is it possible to save only the message file and not
z> the index file? If I then try to read the message file by itself, will
z> it work without the index?

If TB encounters a message database without index, it will reindex by
automtically. No need to save the index file.

z> (2) The files would be renamed (date, etc added to name). If I do
z> this, can this file be read back easily, or does one have to set up
z> another folder for it? (I DON'T want to mix old and new messages at a
z> later time - just look at old ones only).

I would think if you later anything, it cannot be read back easily.
That's a guess.

z> (3) Is it easier to save as a Unix file instead? I'd prefer this as I
z> then could strip off extra headers and save a bit of space.

You can save it as a unix file, but for TB to read it, you'll have to
reimport it into TB msg base format.

z> (4) In a Unix file format, what are the MINIMUM required headers so TB
z> can read it OK?

See 3.

z> (5) If I strip out the base64 coded part of attachments in the Unix
z> file, but leave the 'boundary' lines to show that there was an
z> attachment, will TB get confused by the 'boundary' lines still being
z> in there, without the base64 part?

TB will show error "Cannot open file". If you click "OK", you can
still read the message.

z> Last, but not least, is there a better way to manage old Bat mail :-)?

Archive (move) into a dummy account within TB. No need too figgle with
file manipulation.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.45
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
on a Pentium II/350 MHz.