On Tuesday, September 19, 2000, 3:19:48 AM, Oleg wrote:

TF>> Just for your info, I use the toolbar buttons all the time. I
TF>> do not ever use keyboard shortcuts, with one exception: ALT-F2
TF>> when I'm on the way from the TV to the bathroom. ;-)

> You  waste  your  time  positioning mouse over buttons, you waste
> your screen  space  for  those  buttons. Of course, it's your time
> and your screen.

> If  you  are not working with graphics it is usually much more
> quicker to work with hotkeys rather with the mouse.

It's at least debatable which takes more time--mouse or keyboard (or
other user interfaces)--and the answer would depend very largely on
personal habits and situations.

I consider myself a keyboard person, and enjoy many of the keyboard
shortcuts, if available. But I like mouse, too. I read email in my
leisure time. With a cup of tea in one hand, leaning back
comfortably in my chair, feet on desk or another chair even, mouse
is more convenient. If TB changes many of its shortcuts to one-key
operation (as in Forte Agent), I might use keyboard more. Even then
I won't give up my mouse, however, for it's more likely to miss hit
with keyboard (unless my hand is at the right position, which it
isn't when I'm not sitting straight).

Then there's the problem of having to remember the shortcuts. I can
remember only so many of them, even for a program I use very often
like TB. It wastes even more time if I have to look them up in a
table, and it waste more (physical) desktop estate to have a (hard)
copy of TB's shortcut lists at the side.

The bottom line is: keyboard may be more efficient (in general), but
toolbar, along with many other UI enhancements, is more convenient
and easier to learn (also in general). Every user has his/her
preferences and habits. As Thomas said, I like having the choices.

>From time to time, I find new users get beaten up on this list for
requesting features that TB lacks (proportional fonts, sending html
mail, ¡K etc.). While I understand the logic behind these designs,
and agree with many of them, I fail to see why users can't have
their choices. It's true it takes time to implement those features,
which is a scarce resource for RIT, and we all want them to
implement features we value most (and kill bugs we hate most). Their
requests are nonetheless legitimate, IMHO, and there's no need to
treat them as threats to the integrity of TB (or the Internet, or
computer, whatever).

I'm not saying that you are doing that. I'm just borrowing the
chance to vent my feeling with what I've been observing, especially
in the past few weeks. I myself might be doing that, probably
unknowingly, so this is a reminder to myself as well.

Ming-Li

The Bat! 1.47 Beta/3 | Win2k SP1