Hello Marck,

MDP> Templates  are, IMHO, one of the two most powerful aspects of TB. Have
MDP> you  checked  out  the  information  about  templates  on  the  FAQ at
MDP> http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/templates.html. It's worth a read.

checking it out now...

CL>> don't know why they all disappeared in the first place, but i'm
CL>> glad they did! Where are they saved in the windows directory tree?

MDP> IIRC they are kept in the account.flx file in the /Mail folder.

no; i've just checked (by renaming files, restarting to see what
happens) and it turns out to be account.cfg (its not responsible for
the save message template, which doesn't disappear with the rest when
i hide account.cfg)

CL>> ooh, hold on, replying to normal messages is fine, but its not
CL>> working when i try to reply to a friends html message, i only get
CL>> the results of my macros "on this date, so-and-so said", but then
CL>> it craps out at %QUOTES. i mean, no quoted body appears. this is
CL>> weird eh?

MDP> Check  out  the  message.  HTML messages usually come as multipart - a
MDP> text version of the message with the HTML version as an attachment.

no, i think his messages do have both. two tabs at bottom of main
screen: '1' which has a doublespaced black message on white
background, and an icon in vertical bar window to the left
'message.html'. Other tab labeled 'message.html', shows only the
single-spaced body of message, black font on grey background.

i've   tried   to   reply   from   each   tab,  and  regardless,  the
reply-composition  window  shows  nothing  in  the  top  original-text
screen, and only my macros (except for %quotes) in the bottom one.

MDP> If  it's  not  that,  then  check  the templates at the three levels I
MDP> mentioned before.

MDP> This may be caused by changes to one of:
MDP> 1) the default templates (Account -- Properties -- Templates)

they  were all blank, but i've filled them in with details copied from
another account i just created.

i  imported  the  html  message  to  this new account, and it fails to
successfully reply to it also.  bummer!

maybe  i'll  have to re-install The Bat! ?  but i suspect that if i do
that,  when  i  copy over all my old messages, I'll just copy along too
this  mysterious file corruption (if that is the problem) too, and the
error will happen again.

MDP> 2) the folder templates for the folder that has the focus at the time
MDP>    you attempt the reply

? where to look for this? i don't see anything to do with templates in
folder -- properties. If you mean account -- properties -- templates
-- edit quick templates, it is blank.

MDP> 3) the address book entry for the individual you are replying to.

it  was  blank,  and  box  unticked.   I  copied  in the default reply
template,  ticked  box,  tried replying, and still nothing but most of
the template.

well thanks for your help so far. if you have any more advice (how to
fix this problem, or how to isolate mail from system config files in
case of a re-install), i'll glady give it a go.

MDP> - --
MDP>  Cheers,
MDP>  .\\arck
MDP> [    Marck D. Pearlstone | Moderator TBUDL / TBBETA              ]
MDP> [ PGP Key ID: 0x929DCDA0 | www: http://www.silverstones.com      ]
MDP> [ PGP Key: http://www.silverstones.com/MarckPGP.asc              ]
MDP> [    Any opinions are my own and not those of RIT labs           ]
MDP> TB! v1.48 Beta/7 S/N 14F4B4B2 on Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1

 Charlie                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]