Hello Thomas,

> Hallo Matthias,

> On Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:36:49 -0500 GMT (05/01/2001, 02:36 +0800 GMT),
> Matthias Worch wrote:

MW>> I used Win2k telnet, too, and didn't have problems. This sounds like
MW>> you didn't actually connect to the mail server in question - telnet
MW>> itself won't know any of the commands, only the server does :)

> I did connect, and I can use other commands. I can for exmaple run my
> beloved pine... No, I was indeed on the server. But I think they have
> disabled the commands they don't deem necessary, for security reasons.

You connected to the server on the regular telnet port (22, I
believe). That way you might or might not get access to the server
using a unix shell (depends on how the server is configured). Since
you are able to use pine, you really seem to be using some Unix shell.

But in order to access the POP3 server you need to connect to port
110. Either type "telnet hostname 110" or configure your telnet client
to use port 110 in another way.

Only then you get the POP3 interface and can use the POP3 commands.

David

--
David Buntenbroich
     e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] WWW: http://www.buntenbroich.de

The Bat! 1.49 Beta/2 on Windows NT 5 0 Build 2195 Service Pack 1