Hi, Thomas,

Thanks for your reply.
What is PC-Cillin? I assume it's a program much like other virus
scanners. We do have Antiviral Toolkit Pro installed and it might
cause something similar. However, we lost approximately 2 gigs of
messages physically, that is there was no trace whatsoever of any
files, quarantined or not. Then the issue of an existing bug is still
there.

Thanks again,
Stas

TF> Hi List,

TF> I am following up on an old threat, because the mystery of the
TF> disappearing mails (who message.tbb file) has just been solved. It is
TF> *not* a TB bug.

TF> Fullquote to follow (to remind everybody of the problem), and after
TF> that the explanation why the folder disppeared, and how to make it
TF> re-appear.

TF> On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:28:30 +0800GMT (26/06/2001, 11:28 +0800GMT),
TF> Thomas F wrote:

TF>> Hi David,

TF>> On Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:22:50 -0400GMT (26/06/2001, 02:22 +0800GMT),
TF>> David Robert Austen wrote:

DRA>>> Everything in my BAT InBox has disappeared again (except very latest
DRA>>> download).

TF>> Same here. Not the Inbox, but one of my folders. The file messages.tbb
TF>> has vanished. The file messages.tbi told me that there were 5 news
TF>> messages in there. That was last Thursday. I hadn't done any compress
TF>> or purge action.

TF>> Today, upon startup, same folder, new problem: both files (*.tbb and
TF>> *.tbi) gone.

TF>> I have now deleted the folder, and created a new one. Weird it is
TF>> indeed. See my version in the sig; stand-alone. Never had this problem
TF>> before. Happened only with one folder out of 22 in one of my 8
TF>> accounts, so I didn't report it as a bug. Let's see whether it happens
TF>> again tomorrow morning, after I have now re-created the folder.

TF> And this is the explanation: I save attachments in message body. One of
TF> these attachments contained a virus. At the time I received the email
TF> with the attachment (embedded in a legitimate .doc file), this virus
TF> was not known to PC-Cillin, so it got saved to disk. (I apparently
TF> didn't read the Word file ... ;-))

TF> Now, after update of PC-Cillin, the real-time scan will detect this
TF> virus in the file messages.tbb and of course quarantine the whole file
TF> - put the complete folder's message base under arrest. The file
TF> message.tbb is quarantined, and TB has no access any more.

TF> How to get it back:

TF> 1.) After closing TB, restore the file messages.tbb from "quarantined"
TF> to normal status from within PC-Cillin. It will be put back right
TF> where it belonged, but with and including the virus.

TF> 2.) Shut off PC-Cillin. This is to avoid PC-Cillin quarantining the
TF> file again while you at it in the following steps.

TF> 3.) Open TB, mark all messages (by way of context menu) and export
TF> them as *.msg files. In my case, I had 1376 individual *.msg files in
TF> my Windows\tmp directory now.

TF> 4.) Open PC-Cillin, scan the tmp directory. The email with the virus
TF> will be indified (virus detected in file 0000128.msg) - and
TF> quarantined.

TF> 5.) Restore the quarantined file right away.

TF> 6.) Open the file in a text viewer. (You cannot do that if you don't
TF> resotre it.) Print the headers out, as these give you the means to
TF> identify the message from within TB.

> [...]

Best regards,
 Stanislav                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]