Hello Nick!

On Wednesday, August 01, 2001 at 10:05:58 PM you wrote:

> Aside from CKT actually being illegal versions of PGP,

As long as CKT does not make a new version based upon proprietary NAI
code from 7.x, this statement is just plain wrong, sorry. Up to the
6.5.x series the non-US versions (i, CKT and some others) were based
on the printed code, which was made available for re-assembling
outside the US.

This was due to export restrictions (PGP's encryption was/is so strong
that it counts as a weapon), which have recently been lifted, allowing
for encryption keys (symmetric!) up to 128 bit (or was it byte?).
since then US-software like PGP from NAI or IE and Netscape can be
sold to Europe, Asia and Africa (with some exceptions) with secure
encryption.

The European plug-ins available for upgrading older IE/Netscape
versions also never were illegal.

The current difficulties between programmers and NAI are related to
the new export rules, as NAI now can officially sell its product to
Europeans and others. A second problem is NAI's new policy to not
publish its code for scrutinising (I refer here to Phil Zimmermann).

>  with 7.1 NAI have
> now introduced the concept of individual modules, where you can install
> any one or all of the following:

> PGPMail
> PGPFire
> PGPVPN
> PGPDisk

Sounds nice, but with 6.5.8ckt you'd already have this. Actually
PGPDisk was included with CKT builds but not with NAI's (except for
the non-free versions).

> There is a big difference between versions 6.5.8 and 7.1, and I trust
> RITLabs will develop a Plugin once the SDK is released, regardless
> whether NAI have released the source code or not.

If there is such a big difference I hope RITLabs will develop a
plug-in for 7.x not before the code has been published.

So, all-in-all PGP is at a development stage at which upgrading is not
necessary. NAI did, BTW, introduce more bugs with every new version.
Bugs that had been found by non-affiliated programmers from the source
code published. I remember the problem with non-registered file
extensions some months back, where the solutions offered by Imad were
much smaller and faster applied than the one offered by NAI.

Notice I don't want to persuade anyone from not using 7.x. Everyone to
his wish.

- --
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.54 Beta/4 on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

Only the strong survive.