@ 19:26:34 +0900 [ Sat, 22 Dec 2001], Yuki Taga [YT] wrote these words
of wisdom:
YT> I sure agree there. As far as I'm concerned, a backup utility on
YT> an e-mail client is just bloat, and especially so if it can't
YT> easily and immediately lay down a clone of the program, including
YT> all registry keys, etc. But backups are a function separate from
YT> e-mail, and with all the very good and cheap ways to do them,
YT> comprehensively, I can't imagine relying on an e-mail client to
YT> simply keep the mail database backed up.

It not only backs up your mail, but it also backs up your address
book, templates, filters, editor settings, hotkey settings, message
list color settings and folder settings, falling short with only some
of the preferences which are easily sorted out. It will restore that
backup without user intervention, on any system where you install TB!,
no matter the source installation's configuration in terms of
installation location, account home directory locations. For those not
in the know and who don't know how to fiddle with the registry and
deal with the issues of moving to a different environment, then it's a
good tool. Even *I*, who had backups chose to just create a TB! backup
and restore it on my new system, i.e., from an installation spanning
partitions, to a single partition installation. It was definitely
easier than having to restore to this new environment from a mirror
type backup which would involve some registry editing and manual
movement and relocating. It's easier to just reset the preferences.

However, I fully agree with you on the routine backup of an
installation where the backups will be used to restore the same
system. An automated solution is far better and you don't even have to
by software for that. :-) A batch file used with the system scheduler
is just fine. If you happen to have an archiving tool like WinRAR that
has CLI support then you can create compressed, self-executing
archives with preserved relative paths. To restore your backup, you
simply double click the archive, type in or browse to the parent
folder and go.

--
    .-.-.
   (  :  )                   ©Allie C Martin