On 5 January 2002 at 11:54 am Allie wrote:

> @ 10:55:00 +0000 [ Sat, 5 Jan 2002], Alastair Scott [AS] thoughtfully
> wrote the following:
AS>> TB!'s version numbering is conservative; the change from 1.49
AS>> (when I started) to 1.54 beta would've resulted in 2 or 3 major
AS>> releases from most other companies. (Compare, for example, Outlook
AS>> Express 5 to Outlook Express 6, which had little real change).

> Agreed!!

> I wonder at times, knowing of the power of human perception, if this
> is a good thing.

Probably not - if you look at various places where review comments are
posted (eg www.betanews.com) there are complaints that TB! "hasn't
reached version 2 although it was promised in 1957" and suchlike
although, really, it's at about version 4 on modern numbering systems
(those artificially accelerated by the ability of the Internet to
easily distribute minor changes with major hyperbole) ...

For example, the latest beta change (adding SSL "port 995" facilities)
would've provoked a press release and fanfare of trumpets from many
others I'm sure ;)

Alastair