Hello.

I've been using The Bat! for about a week. I've noticed a number of
anomalies (on my system, at least). They are listed in no particular
order. Can you reproduce them?

1. Nicked nicknames

AB entry nicknames don't always autocomplete to the saved entry and
Ctrl+ doesn't always work. Despite repeated attempts, I have been
unable to figure out why.

I've found that if Ctrl+ doesn't work at first, *sometimes* it will
start working after pressing the down arrow (or the up arrow) and then
returning to the field.

Can anyone figure out what needs to happen for a nickname to work the
first time, every time?

2. Hidden addresses... not

Addresses in AB groups that have the option "Hide items if not
explicitly selected" checked will still be displayed in the AB when
the AB icon to the right of the To: field in the message editor is
pressed.

The entries will stay hidden if the group is moved to another address
book.

3. Editable header fields... not?

The message editor's editable header fields are not displayed as
editable.

Editable fields are typically displayed differently from non-editable
fields. TB! does not distinguish between the two, which is extremely
confusing and very easy to change.

4. Browser append appendage

Filter, Actions tab, check "Export message to file", select "Append to
existing file", press Browse, find the directory, add a new file name.
This results in an error if the file doesn't already exist. If the
browser is not used and the file name is simply added to the field, no
error occurs.

Since append creates a file if none exists, the Browse button should
permit navigation to the desired directory and accept any filename.

5. Two mailtos

TB! adds the command string:

HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command\"D:\Internet\The Bat!\thebat.exe" %1

when TB! is set to be the default mail client. On my system, this
results in *two* message windows if TB! is not running and a mailto
link is clicked. Only a single message window is created if TB! is
already running. I don't think the "%1" parameter is needed. A better
command string might be:

HKCR\mailto\shell\open\command\"D:\Internet\The Bat!\thebat.exe"/nologo

This works correctly on my system with mailto links whether or not TB!
is running.

6. Leaving the last attachment

If a message contains several attachments and they are deleted by
pressing the Del key, the last attachment can't be deleted. The
message must first be moved to another folder.

7. Getting to the bottom of the AB name display

When the cursor is held over an AB name, the e-mail addresses display
in a drop-down window. If the list of e-mail addresses extends beyond
the bottom of the computer screen, the addresses flash repeatedly.

8. Underspec of the overlap

There is no option to scroll a message with the space key or PgDn with
single- or multi-line overlap. A single line of overlap helps retain
context while reading. This is so commonly employed by programs that I
consider this to be an anomaly rather than an enhancement.

9. Just a pretty title

Note the number of messages in a folder. Double-click a message in
that folder with an attachment for viewing. Delete the attachment in
the viewer, then delete the message by clicking on the viewer trash
can icon. The message title will remain displayed in the folder's
right pane, but the folder shows 1 less message in the left pane's
total.

10. Auto-saving save save save

Set up an account to store attachments in a separate directory:
Properties, Files & directories, File attachments are stored:,
(choose) Separate from messages in special directory, Directory:
(select a directory for the attachments).

Set up auto-save for the message editor: Options, Editor Preferences,
Auto-save every: 20 sec.

Start a new message and attach a file, filename.ext, by clicking on
the "Attach a file" icon. Type some text in the message body. Wait 20
seconds. Type some more text. The attached files directory will
contain two copies of the attachments, filename1.txt and
filename2.ext. If the message is edited over a period of 20 minutes,
there will be *many* copies of the file.

If the message is cancelled by pressing the "Cancel the message" icon,
you will be prompted with, "This message was automatically saved.
Would you like to keep the saved copy?" Press "No". The message will
not be saved, but all the copies of the attachment will remain in the
attachments directory.

11. Save message, lose data

Open a message and click on "Save as..." and select a filename.ext
that exists already. There will be two successive dialog boxes. The
first will ask if the message should be overwritten. The default is
YES, which destroys data. If NO is selected, the second dialog box
will ask if the message should be appended. The default here is YES.

Only a single dialog box is really necessary: "The file "filename.ext"
already exists. Do you want to append or overwrite this file?" Append
(default)  Overwrite  Cancel.

The default choice should _always_ be to preserve rather than destroy
data. Thus, the default response to the first dialog box should be
"NO" rather than "YES". I submitted a suggestion to the TB! developers
about this, but I've already lost data due to accepting the default
choice, so I now consider this to be an anomaly rather than an
enhancement.

12. Favourites list unfavoured BCC

If both the Account New message template _and_ the AB entry New
message template contain BCC macros and a new message is created using
the Favourites drop-down list, the AB BCC macro is ignored.

If _only_ the Account New message template contains a BCC macro (the
AB entry New message template is empty) and a new message is created
using the Favourites drop-down list, the Account BCC macro is ignored.

This has already been reported to the TB! developers as a bug.

I'll update this list as I find new items. If an item is confirmed
elsewhere, I'll submit a bug report. If the item is incorrectly
listed, I'll remove it. All comments are welcome.

regards, Andy

P.S.: I'm on the digest, so any reply I make to a message will *not*
be threaded correctly in TB! but *will* be threaded correctly in the
web archive. I apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may
cause.

[Using The Bat! 1.53t under Windows 2000 Pro SP2
 on a "made from scratch" PIII-500 MHz/384 MB RAM]