Hello Tim,

On Thu, 27 Jun 2002 19:54:49 +1000 GMT (27/06/02, 16:54 +0700 GMT),
Tim wrote:

T>  Where are the characters being messed up (TB! receiving, Eudora
T>  sending, mail server transferring)?

I assume the font you are using has no equivalents to the ASCII codes
that are being transferred.

T>  Is there anything I can do in TB! to fix this?

Ask the sender which fnt he is using (maybe ask him to switch to a
fixed-width one before c&p'ing) and use the same under Options /
Editor Preferences / Display / Font / Change.

Also check out the charset he is sending the message in. You'll find
that in the headers of the message you received from him.

T>  Is there anything I can tell the sender to do in Eudora to fix this?

That's not so easy to reply at this stage, we have to read on first:

T> Both sender and receiver are in Australia, writing in Australian
T> English, but the problem text is often copied from Word files created
T> by Japanese or Korean authors.

...and these authors might be using DBCS. Even though the words you
see may be English, the "weird" characters you reported are
high-ASCII characters. And they being treated differently by
DBCS-capable Windows versions.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

I got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't watching.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.60q
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM