Hi Joseph,

Tuesday, August 20, 2002, 2:53:48 PM, you wrote:

JN>    On Monday, August 19, 2002, Razgo wrote in
JN> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

R>> So all suggestions on the way you guys handle backup copies of your
R>> email is appreciated.

JN> Razgo,

JN> I think you've heard most of the better ideas, including Allie's
JN> interesting method of using a scheduled archive operation.  I thought
JN> I'd add my method into the mix because it overlaps in part some
JN> previous ideas and in part is different.

thanks for taking the time to respond.

JN> For several reasons, I don't like to keep more mail in the program
JN> than I need to, so I try to keep the message base in TB! pretty small.

yes I would normally do this also to keep system resources as free as
possible. however I discovered the bat! uses much less than my Eudora
programme did. currently the bat! is using 5% and Eudora is using 13%,
and thats a huge difference.

JN> So periodically I append the messages in some of my TB! folders into
JN> Mailbag Assistant's native archive format.  You could develop a script
JN> to do that automatically, but I don't know how and don't have the need
JN> to learn.  The TB! message base can be saved in Mailbag Archive's
JN> native format or as Unix file formatted files or as (I think) text
JN> files.  The advantages to using this program include compression and
JN> sophisticated search, print, and database operations (and you can
JN> reply from within the program via MAPI).

ok this sounds good.

JN> However, I also archive certain email on the fly. For those messages,
JN> I have filters set up which automatically append the message onto a
JN> Unix-formatted file.

yes, this is something I will have to learn how to do and put into
practise.

JN> I can't say that my practices are any better than the other
JN> suggestions you've received, they're just what I've worked out for my
JN> purposes, which are to keep certain types of messages both archived
JN> and accessible, and to have a program or format which can be used
JN> seamlessly with different email programs.

thanks for the tips. I have many options now to consider.
thank you all.

 Razgo                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]