This issue is mostly OT was sent by Greg to TBUDL & the TBOT list.
I replied to the TBOT list but it hasn't come back, so pardon my
OT TBUDL post.

Hello Greg,

You asked about Win XP, multiple partitions and multiple OS's for
TB!:

I know of three sources for partitioning and multiple boot apps:

Powerquest (Partition Magic) www.powerquest.com
Acronis OS Selector www.acronis.com and
Paragon http://www.paragon-gmbh.com/

I am running WinXP Pro and using the Acronis app for partitioning.
(They have a demo). You can have multiple OS's in the same
partitions or different partitions and can hide or unhide them and
as I recall, change drive letters. There is some problem changing
from NTFS to Fat32 but they do a variety of Linux file systems and
you can move partitions or deactivate and reactivate OS Selector
using a floppy.

I also downloaded a Paragon's NTFS for Win98 demo and can now read &
copy from NTFS partitions in Win98. Registering it will let you
write to NTFS.

If I were buying any I would go with Paragon. They offer an
incredible variety of things you can't do with the others, including
NTFS to Fat conversions. (Acronis will let you change the partition
type but warns you that you should convert first, which you can't do
from NTFS to FAT, just the reverse).

I've used PQ's PM and it's good. You need version 7 for XP. Acronis
sent me a full version of OS Selector and it's been working fine but
I'm thinking about getting Paragon's Hard Disk Manager, which
includes: BootManager • Partition Manager • Drive Backup • Disk
Wiper • Ext2FS Anywhere & they have lots more really good apps.

I've also used the IBM Boot Manager that comes with OS/2, which PQ's
PM incorporated in it's v 3 (if I recall) and maybe still does. It's
somewhat dated by now though.

GS> I'm upgrading my PC to WinXP. I have used Win98 which has a multi-boot
GS> partitions. ..

You can keep it and boot to it and even add NTFS capacity to it.

GS> My questions are as follows:

GS> 1) Can you create an extended partition in WinXP?

You create partitions outside of the OS - any kind you want.

GS> If yes, will the drive always be drive "D"?

It's up to you and the app you use.

GS> 2) Can you create a multi-boot system with WinXP?

Yes. You can have multiple versions of WinXP or win Winx or Linux or
OS/2 or you name it.

GS> 3) If #1 & #2 are yes, then I should be able to install TB onto the
GS>    extended partition.

I have TB! in it's own 3 Gb partition. Of course I can change that
any time.

GS> This was the same way I installed on Win98. If you have ideals
GS> as to what maybe a better configuration, I'd appreciate your
GS> feedback.

There are lots of variables. Check out the 3 + apps mentioned.

Douglas