Dear Jon,

Going back 05:52 22.10.2002...

> Apples and oranges. Notes is complete overkill if it is used for email only. But
> even so, Notes is appropriate as an enterprise email system for a large number
> of users. No way that you'd use TB for this. A few of many examples: Forget your

Why not. It depends on the backend? Who do you think's gonna beat a
nice little Unix setup with Cyrus LMTP-delivery, which can be cascaded
or clustered for more performance?

> TB password? Fergit it! Need support? Sorry, a mailing list alone doesn't cut it

We're using a MySQL-approach for the mail users. If someone forgets
his password, he can call in and we look it up (hey, that's what
databases are for), if he still has it set in eg TB, he can ask the
MTA to send him a reminder. Easy go, no?

> for most companies. Centralized backup? Where are you going to centralize the
> message base in a secure manner? (And this is coming from someone what has
> Notes for 12 years and hates it as an email system!)

TB stores mail in a distinct folder. What backup program does your
company use?! We're using ARCServer, okay it's not the nicest, but it
can make daily backups of resources on user workstations.

Or you can set TB to save the mail on the users personal storage on
the servers. Or you can make a cron, uhm excuse me, at.exe job to copy
the stuff to a network drive for backup. Or or or...

> "She now is pushing our company to take a look at The Bat! to replace Notes."
> A perfect example why "computer illiterates" shouldn't make technical
> recommendations...

Really depends on the usage, as you correctly pointed out. We've taken
over many customers that had brought for $$$ MS Exchange with
licenses, and who only needed a simple Unix SMTP and POP server
together with a simple MUA. Don't forget that The decisions taken by
often so-called "management" aren't the best ones.

Cheers,
 Johannes                            mailto:jposel@;zedat.fu-berlin.de

--
Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggy" until you can find a rock.