Hello Dave,

> That is, a user wanting to scan and re-scan the set of active folders and
> dive into one or another according to whims of the moment. And then jump
> back out and look for the next one to dive into. It would be enormously
> helpful to know which folders have "new" messages and which do not.

I think I understand what you mean and, as I had a similar feeling
months ago, I will tell you what I have done just in case it is of any
help.

I make extensive use of filters like many other people. But perhaps
differently to others I have many more Read and Reply filters than
Incoming ones. Of course I also use Outgoing filters. I will briefly
explain my "philosophy" and, then, if you want me to expand any detail
I will.

Incoming filters.
  What I try to achieve with the Incoming filter set is to
  differentiate on the "importance" of incoming messages and only get
  a warning (sound) when I get a message that I should read (and
  perhaps reply to) quite immediately. How?

  My first two filters look for Ignored threads (messages from mail
  list that 'belong' to threads I'm not interested in) and SPAM.

  Then I have a number of filters for mailing list a aliases (support,
  sales, etc.) that I normally don't need to reply to and that I can
  read on spare time.

  Then I have my Known filter, that moves messages to a folder I have
  called "Inbox-Known" so I can assign an specific sound to it. And
  very important here is that I have very carefully made groups in my
  AB and selected them for this filter.

  And the last filter is called "New Unknown" that moves messages (any
  message left in Inbox) to my Inbox-Unknown folder and with a
  different sound.

  So, when new messages arrive (I connect to my server every 5
  minutes) any "important" message that may require my immediate
  attention ends up either in "My Inbox" or "Inbox-Unknown" folder,
  the not important ones in their respective folders and the Inbox (the
  normal and default Inbox) is *empty*

So what do I do when I hear one or both of my two 'magic sounds'?. I
first go to My Inbox (and after to the Inbox-Unknown one) and look for
unread message and start reading them. In this folder I don't use any

So, when I am reading messages in My Inbox is where my Read filters
have to do the job. Before I forget, let me say that I manually mark
messages as read *once* and only once I have read them.

Read filters.

  My first Read filter is called "Must Reply", wonder why? When I read
  a message and I have to reply to it I don't do it while in this
  folder, My Inbox. I flag it (the red flag) and then, when I manually
  mark it as read, if the messages if flagged the filter moves it to a
  "Must Reply" folder and, if not flagged, it continues processing
  with the rest of Read filters that eventually sort (move and file)
  already read messages to appropriate folders.

  My second Read filter is called "Must Reply (Inbox Unknown)". And
  guess what it does! Exactly the same than the first one. The
  difference is that the source folder is Inbox-Unknown instead of My
  Inbox.

  And as already mentioned, the rest of the Read filters move messages
  to appropriate folders (usually for specific people or companies,
  etc.) and the last one, if a message ever gets to it, moves messages
  to a "Possible Trash" folder.

So, the idea is that if I have any "important" messages Unread, they
will be either in MyInbox or Inbox-Unknown folders. And that once I
have read them all, both folders will be empty and read messages will
be either in Must Reply folder or appropriately filed.

And before explaining my Replied filters setup, I must say that I also
use "Must Reply" folder as "Must Review" (or re-read) folder.

Replied Filters.

  The idea here is that once I get to my "Must Reply" folder and reply
  to a message it is moved and filed to the appropriate folder. The
  reply will go to the same folder by means of Outgoing filters.

  The first filter in this set is called "Follow Up" and, very
  similarly to "Must Reply" Read filter, if when a messages is replied
  it is flagged it will be moved to a "Follow Up" folder.

  Quite obviously, the rest of the Replied filters is basically a
  duplication of Read filters to move and file replied messages to
  appropriate folders.

Finally, Outgoing filters are basically the same as those in Read and
Replied to move and file outgoing messages to appropriate folders.

I must admit it took me a while to think and design this setup, but I
have used it for some six months now and I am very satisfied with it.
It has proven very efficient for my needs.

Miguel A. Urech (El Escorial - Spain)
Using The Bat! v1.61