Hello Anne!

On Saturday, October 26, 2002 at 11:39:11 AM you wrote:

> I still feel that there needs to be someting more basic which
> answeres the questions of total beginners, and Marck's new Beginners
> Zone and a forum will help address that need.

The FAQ.

Let's get that straight, it was asked for opinions on a message board.
I gave mine with some points which have to be thought of:

  1. I don't think message boards are the place an absolute beginner
  will go to.

  2. Information about *where* to find help is much more important
  than another forum.

  3. It is best to try out what you try to learn, hence mailing list
  for e-mail.

  4. To answer questions one has to know the answer. If seasoned TB
  users aren't on the message board, beginners won't get answers.

  5. From the above follows that a message boards can become quickly
  an unpaid support department of RITLabs since only a few people
  answer the same questions over and over again. When beginners aren't
  beginners anymore they will leave. On these MLs nearly all of us
  started out as beginners and are now seasoned; we stay here to help
  *mutually*.

  6. Message boards are only useful if they either aren't frequented
  very often or you be there always. For a pay-per-minute user the
  last option is not viable.

  7. Instead of just having TB open and working with it you need to
  have open your browser, too.

  8. If one wants a message board, just start it and see what happens.

--
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:Dierk.Haasis@;Write4U.de?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.62/Beta6 on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

You have to be able to stand living with the tensions of opposites.
(Niels Bohr)