Mark,

   On Monday, October 28, 2002, Mark Wieder wrote in
<mid:6813457140.20021028121304@;ahsoftware.net>:

MW> There are several centuries worth of literature that prove the point
MW> that not only does text mode not need RTF or HTML formatting, but that
MW> often simple text can get the point across much better than visual
MW> crutches.

I am unaware of writers from other centuries discoursing about the
relative merits of textual attributes to convey meaning in electronic
media. The twentieth century, however, has produced many reports which
indicate (as of the last time I waded in) that text formatting and
text attributes convey meaning, and that they convey more meaning in a
short span of time than does plain text without layout or attributes.

MW> * Actually text supports bullet points quite well.
MW> * I can also even *emphasize* certain words, or "quote" them. If
MW>   necessary, I can even SHOUT.

I don't disagree with that. My email, using TB!, frequently uses those
devices, as well as the indented paragraphs that TB! makes so easy.
The only problems with those are that they are not standard and that
they do not look professional. When I need more than TB! can provide,
I usually do something in my word processor and then attach a PDF, so
it looks the way I want, and is even on the electronic version of my
letterhead. But should that really be necessary? A good email program,
I would argue, is something that not only enables transmission over
the Internet but also enables the medium of the message, within
reasonable limits.  It the the scope of those reasonable limits that
I'm addressing.

MW> Most of the "styled text" messages I receive from people are simply
MW> the a text message using a different font, i.e., the sender preferred
MW> that the recipient see the message in 10-point Times.

Well, although that's not really my experience, I don't think there's
any harm in seeing a communication that looks the way the sender
intended. To the contrary, I would say that, at this stage in our
culture, if you are seeing a communication, in a visual media, that
does not look the way the sender intended, then you are not seeing the
sender's message.  McLuhan, et al.

MW> There's also the "slippery slope" issue - where would you draw the
MW> line? Why stop at bullets, italics, underlines, and bold? What about
MW> strikeouts? What about color? Pretty soon you will find yourself
MW> implementing HTML just to have tags to support all the different
MW> styles you want to include.

There might be some decisions that need to be made, but that doesn't
turn it into a slipper slope, nor does it have anything to do with
HTML. Appearance is not the biggest problem with HTML, and I agree
that HTML is not the way to go. As for the decisions on how much
enrichment to provide, I guess it's a functionality analysis, how much
would be beneficial for the users and the product. I think that
tables, bold, underlining and italics would be a sensible package, in
that it would not only be very functional but also be set of
attributes that generally go together (except for tables). I think
color and size variations, and other fancy fonts, are all things that
could be reserved for attachments if necessary; but others might have
their own views. The fact that a decision or cutoff would be
necessary, though, seems like a poor reason not to undertake the
effort.

--
JN