In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Alexander [MA] wrote:'

MA> Thanks. Allie gave me some methods of blocking/deleting i.e a
MA> couple of ways to set up filters. Thanks for your suggestion
MA> too, but I'm kinda old fashioned and I don't like paying out for
MA> software to do something that the software I have should do.
MA> Even if it takes me ages to get my head round it. Must be
MA> slowing up in my old age :). Do appreciate your help though, and
MA> if I can't fix it myself I'll try what you've suggested :)

May I suggest some more then. :)

A very good approach to spam filtering is to do the following:

1) Filter all legitimate mail to their respective folders so that your
filter rules look something like:

2) Filter rules to catch e-mail list traffic.

3) Filter rules to catch mail from family, friends and others in your
address book.

4) Fiter rules to catch newsletters and mail from support groups etc.

5) Follow these rules by your specific spam filters that move matched
messages to a designated spam folder.

6) Follow this with a filter that catches all mail directly addressed
to you.

7) Finally, put below this another filter that catches all mail and
place them in a spam folder (this can be made a common folder).

With this setup, you'll find that 99% of your spam will end up in
your spam folder.

IOW's, you're operating on two assumptions:

a) if the mail isn't from a known source (caught by filters 1 to 4),
is addressed directly to you (filter 6), and is not caught by your
specific spam filter rules (filter 5), then it's not likely to be
spam.

b) if the mail isn't from a known source and is not directly
addressed to you, then it's likely to be spam.

One of your filters for messages from a known source would be one
that checks to see if the sender address is in your address book.
You can automatically extend this filters ability by creating
another that adds the recipient address to the address book for any
mail which you reply to. You could create a miscellaneous address
book group for this purpose. If you're replying to a message then
it's not spam, right? So you can safely add the address to your
address book.

Hope that helps.

--
  -=] allie_M [=-  {List Moderator}

MUA: TB! v1.62 Christmas Edition ___ OS: WinXP Pro (SP1)