I am having this issue daily... usually when I leave the Bat open for a few
hours or so... and it seems to be just checking email, not downloading
anything...  I would agree that it might be a winsock issue also as when the
connection centre locks up, I have trouble getting to everyday websites (like
google) and only rebooting seems to fix it (ipconfig/renew gets an error)

Got to love freak bugs!!