Hello Roel,
THanks for replying to my post, I think I'm starting to get a better
handle on how the bat works.  Can I arrange the order in which columns
are displayed essentially overriding the default thread view?  I mean,
will doing this cause messages not to be threaded properly?

I now have a more basic question about replying -- I notice I have
reply and reply to all.  Is there an easy way to reply to someone
directly rather than to the list?  If so, I appologize for not using
it.

Again, thanks for all your help,

Steve

R> Hi Steve

R> On 9 Jul 2003 18:16:41  (my local time 10 jul 2003 00:16:41), Steve M.
R> Sawczyn wrote:

SMS>> sort those filtered messages into threads.  I went under view/view
SMS>> threads by/references standard, but can not tell if messages are
SMS>> actually grouped into threads.

R> Well, there are several clues:
R> - when you press alt+1, or go through the menu, the threaded view is
R>   enabled for that folder
R> - when you have threaded view enabled, there are a few ways to notice
R>   it:
R>   * you will notice a boxed '+' or boxed '-' as the parent messages
R>     for threads (those signs may be a graphic, as I couldn't find them
R>     in any of my fonts), however: a standalone message wont have
R>     either of these symbols
R>   * If you still have the default order for columns, you can notice a
R>     change in that order: it goes from "message flags, and so on" to
R>     "subject" and so on (mind you: only true for switching to
R>     non-threaded view to threaded-by-references)

SMS>> When the thread is expanded, the minus changes to a plus. Anyway,
SMS>> with my screen reader, I am not detecting any sort of symbol when
SMS>> I change to the thread view.

R> There's a change from 'boxed +' (which is unexpanded) to 'boxed -'
R> (expanded) in the beginning of the 'subject column' (which is the
R> first column if you thread by referencens)

SMS>> How can I tell how many messages are in a thread?

R> The total of messages in a thread (or subthread) are in the column
R> 'total'.

SMS>> Are threads actually colapsed

R> Yes, when you change to a folder, all threads are collapsed.
R> One exception: if the last message you viewed was within a thread, the
R> thread is collapsed up to the level of the message you viewed. All
R> subtrees that are not in the message path will be closed.

R> Expand them all by using control *

SMS>> I am having trouble figuring out if a message has been read, replied
SMS>> to, forwarded, remains unread, etc...  Is there a specifi graphic
SMS>> in the bat which I should enable which would convey this
SMS>> information?

R> Read, Unread, Replied to, Forwarded, etc all use different graphics in
R> the "message flags" column.

SMS>> Essentially, I need to increase subject and the from fields as
SMS>> they're the ones I don't want to have cut off.

R> You described the way to do it :-)
R> By increasing the number in the column view, you make the column
R> larger. By changing the order of the columns, you also change the
R> order the columns are presented.

SMS>> Any help which anyone could offer would be much appreciated. I'm
SMS>> sure I'll have more questions as I progress, but I'm very excited
SMS>> about using the bat and think it'll be a great solution for me.

R> Please, feel free to ask, we're here to help...

 Steve                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]