The answers to your first two questions are in the right click context
menus.

>               thread/references standard.  I'm not sure how to go
>               about deleting an entire thread -- if the thread is

If you right click on a thread, go to the Thread submenu, there is a
Delete Thread option. The hotkey for this is Shift+Ctrl+Del.

>               Another problem I'm having has to do with wanting to
>               delete all messages in a folder.  I have a few mailing

Similarly, you can right click on the folder and select mark all
messages read. The hotkey for this is Ctrl+M.