Wednesday, August 6, 2003, 11:10:24 AM, Roberto wrote:
R> That sounds cool! How did you get to the poing where you are
R> at right now? Is there documentation on how to do this?

Here's an overview for setting up TB! to tunnel SMTP via ssh.

First, let me start with why someone might do this:

1. Security - all traffic between the mail host and the server
   will now be encrypted with strong encryption.  Caveat - once
   it is on the server, it is no longer encrypted. Using SSH is
   not a replacement for PGP.

2. Firewall or other block - if a firewall will not allow traffic
   through port 25 (or other ports), but does allow ssh you can
   use ssh's port forwarding feature to tunnel the desired ports
   over the permitted ssh port.

3. Compression - ssh also supports compressing the traffic that
   goes over it. I'm not using this, but it may be of interest to
   someone on a dial-up or bandwidth limited connection.

Here's how I got to where I am right now....

Base assumptions about my situation that might not be typical for
others:

1. I have cygwin installed with the OpenSSH package included
2. My e-mail provider allows telnet/ssh access

Both of the above are needed. #1 is easy to get www.cygwin.com. I
doubt that #2 is in common use.

Given the two items above:
0. Open a cygwin window
1. Confirm your ssh connection works:
   $ ssh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   <give password when asked>
   yourhost $ <command line prompt available>
   <exit after confirmed>

2. Set up a tunnel session with your host:
   $ ssh -lyourname -L 25:localhost:25 yourhost.com
   <give password when asked>

3. In TB!, change Account!Properties!Transport!SMTP Server
   to localhost (leave port at 25)

Send an e-mail!

Now, the remaining issues are:
1. I don't want to keep the ssh tunnel up all the time
2. Given 1, how can I have TB! launch ssh for the e-mails in the
   Outbox and then close it down when all are sent.
3. Setting up ssh to not ask for a password every time. (I think
   this can be handled by setting up the key authentication
   correctly, but that's not a TB! issue.)

I hope others find this interesting and useful.

--
Dave Kennedy