David Boggon, [DB] wrote:

DB> Am I missing something, or is it not possible for the HTML editor in
DB> v2.00 to be set as the default?

It's not possible.

DB> I was expecting much fuller HTML editing support in v2.00 ... i.e.
DB> HTML default editor & HTML templates.

HTML mail really aught to be composed only in exceptional circumstances.
In those circumstances, manually enabling it isn't tedious. I think
Ritlabs likely supports a similar view.

The problem with HTML mail is its overwhelming abuse. The ability to
make it the default editor encourages such abuse.

DB> I've heard the purists talk of 'bloatmail'/bandwidth issues, but why
DB> is this such an issue?

The default use of HTML mail does increase bandwidth use. If one person
does so it's negligible. When the whole internet community decides to do
so, it's an enormous increase in bandwidth use.

DB> Surely the enormous formatting flexibility available with HTML email
DB> outweighs the bandwidth issue.

In all but a few exceptions, I'd think not.

DB> After all, we're not on the brink of bandwidth rationing, are we?

For many, bandwidth is still a serious consideration in terms of cost
and in terms of download speeds.

DB> I appreciate some of us pay for the bandwidth we use, but text only
DB> HTML emails will use a negligible amount of extra bandwidth compared
DB> to plain text ones. Isn't this correct?

In the main, yes, but there are other problems.

DB> Is it a reaction to the practices of spammers & the influence of MS?
DB> or something more technical?

HTML formatted mail takes away the control from your readers. I hate
when HTML mail forces me to read it with a particular font and font
size. Not to mention that HTML mail is notorious for looking different
from what the sender intended.

There are a lot of past threads looking at this issue of HTML mail.
I suggest running a search for them on the TBUDL archives.

DB> I can make plain text messages look OK in TB! but I'm aware whenever I
DB> send mail that the P.T. usually looks pretty dreadful on recipient's
DB> machines.

Would you explain this further?

--
 -= allie_M =- | List Moderator