Hi Marck,

on 9/9/03 we wrote:

AM>>> I hate when HTML mail forces me to read it with a particular
AM>>> font and font size.

MDP> Precisely.

D>> Well yes, that's precisely my point.

MDP> It's not. It's the opposite of your point!

My point is freedom of choice

D>> TB too makes it difficult for people to exercise the choice of
D>> HTML over plain text, for those prefering HTML who are also
D>> responsible users.

MDP> On the whole, no. Most people who write HTML mail do so to impose
MDP> formatting and presentation on the recipient. That is already an
MDP> abuse of responsibility.

With respect, the way a thing is presented is never usually the responsibility
of the person to whom it is presented. We are always presenting
ourselves and what we do in a particular way, whether we (or anyone
else) likes it or not. The power the recipient has is in choosing to
receive it or not.

This seems like a complex issue, and I appreciate the technical
background to it, but the widespread usage and general appeal of HTML
messaging means it isn't going to go away in a hurry.

The more relevant question, which Allie has just alluded to, seems to
me how we can make HTML-type mailing better, addressing the issues some of
us have raised here.

--

David Boggon

[EMAIL PROTECTED]