>Are we talking about taking the time (an extra step) to put an
>exclamation at the beginning of every memo, just so that the column
>width can be set to 7?

It's most likely just to accommodate the fact that the message list
typically uses proportional fonts, and to provide a consistent visual
cue.

For example, at a column width of 7, you'll only see a single PIXEL
for some characters, such as a capital T, which might be missed in a
quick visual scan.  And if you widen it, you'll end up with a variable
number of characters appearing in that column, which is kinda messy.

I'm pretty sure "!" was selected because it's a single pixel wide and
effectively provides a consistent visual "icon", not unlike the park/flag
symbols.
--
zParticle