Hello Greg,
On Sunday, November 21, 2004, 10:10 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> I am trying to do a specific backup and restore using a batch file, so
>> that I can transfer my current TB over to my new computer. Tony Boom
>> has very kindly given me instructions to do so, using Winrar as my zip
>> program. The only problem I can see is that my TB folder is called
>> "TheBat2.0" for some reason (as opposed to "The Bat!"),
GS> ^^^^^^^^^

GS> So is your program files located in directory below?
GS> "C:\Program Files\TheBat2.0"

Yes.

GS> Is your mail directory located below the above directory so it would be
GS> in the directory below?
GS> "C:\Program Files\TheBat2.0\MAIL"
GS> I'll assume yes.

Right you are. :-)

>> I cannot change the name of the folder (believe me, I tried).

GS> If you were logged out of TB and have WinXP Pro on NTFS file system you
GS> are probably logged in as a limited user. Even if you were logged in as
GS> Admin user I don't know if you would want to change it because TB may
GS> not work afterwards. IIRC TB directory structure saved in other files
GS> possibly registry which may throw things out of wack.

You lost me there, sorry. I do know that I couldn't change the name of
the directory; lost all the data files and had to go back (using
"GoBack").

>> My question is, what wording, if any, do I need to change in the
>> following file:

GS> See below:

>> ---------------

>> @Echo off

>> Path C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe

GS> Hopefully WinRAR is installed here on your PC so you shouldn't have to
GS> make any changes, otherwise you have to make appropriate changes.

I have WinRAR installed in both computers now.

GS> So I am SWAG'ing it. I would try batch from Program directory
GS> "C:\Program Files\TheBat2.0\batch.bat" which would put registry in
GS> program directory to be latter compressed into backup file which would
GS> be a good thing.  Otherwise you may have to run from root directory
GS> "C:\batch.bat"

Lost in space. Sorry to be so thick. :-(

>>snip...

>> if exist TBbckup1.reg rename TBbckup1.reg TBbckup2.reg

GS> I would rem the above line out because you want  registry backed up
GS> provided you are going to use the exact directory structure on new
GS> machine, otherwise I would just use TB backup and do a clean install
GS> with it on new machine. So just put "rem" in front of above 2 lines.

I tried the TB backup and restore and sadly it didn't work for me,
which is why Tony's batch file transfer will be a godsend once I get
it to work. ...By now you probably know I couldn't rem something if my
life depended on it.

>> start /w regedit /e TBbckup1.reg
>> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT\The Bat!"

GS> this backs up the registry to a file name "TBbckup1.reg" which is real
GS> important for setting up later on new machine, otherwise you will have
GS> to do a clean install. When you get the .reg file on the new machine
GS> all you have to do is double click to put it in the registry.

All that worked very well; but the .reg file created a directory
called "The Bat!" and I am trying to install "TheBat2.0". Anyway I
didn't get my mail program restored.

GS> Remember
GS> you may want to do a clean install with backup from TB backup utility
GS> anyway. I am no expert here but think the only limitation on TB backup
GS> utility is to have the same directory structure below the "Mail"
GS> directory, whereas batch file backup requires both the same structure
GS> for the program AND mail files.

I don't know why TB's backup & restore didn't work... maybe "The Bat!"
vs "TheBat2.0" again.

GS> Also the other thing to note here is how are you going to transfer the
GS> backup files to the new PC. Are they hooked up on a network, or is
GS> your mail base very small. If small then you may get away with a CD or
GS> even a floppy. It all depends upon the size.

I copied the zip files to a CD, then opened it in my new computer.

>>snip...

>> if exist "C:\email\TBBackup.rar" del "C:\email\TBBackup.rar"

GS> deletes old WinRar file below the "C:\email\" directory. If you are
GS> going to use this line you will have to make sure directory structure
GS> agrees, otherwise change to whatever you want.

I think all is ok here.

>> C:\Progra~1\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe a -u -as "C:\email\TBBackup.rar" "C:\Program
>> Files\The Bat!"

GS> This is the actual backup. I would assume the switches in WinRAR will
GS> backup all files in the directory and below, and WinRar is located in
GS> the same directory. So if your Mail directory is located somewhere
GS> else you will have to make changes. I am going to assume your "Mail"
GS> directory is located below the program directory and your backup is
GS> going to be in the "C:\email\" directory. This being the case
GS> then change the line to the following:

GS> C:\Progra~1\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe a -u -as
GS> "C:\email\TBBackup.rar" "C:\Program Files\TheBat2.0"

In the registry the program is called "The Bat!". So should I still
change it to "TheBat2.0"?

>> I hope I have explained this properly. I have absolutely no experience
>> with batch files or this type of procedure, so please make your
>> response suitable for a simpleton like me.
>> :-) Any help any of you can provide would be very much appreciated.

GS> I tried to help, but it depends upon your file structure...

Thank you very much Greg, I appreciate your efforts to help, and your
patience.

--
Best wishes,
Pat

A Canadian in Houston
Using The Bat! v3.0.1.33 on Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 1