Hi Alexander,

On Sunday, April 03, 2005, at 1:47:23 PM PST, you wrote:

>> If you don't open attachments, and you configure your browser to
>> disallow active content, and you block all incoming ports that are
>> a potential security risk (you can essentially block _all_ ports on
>> a PC that is used only as a client machine), you can be safe, with
>> or without an A/V product

> You really believe this, do you? Ever heard of the average "Joe
> User"? :-)

Do you excuse a bad driver just because they might not know what a red
light means? Or do you feel it's the driver's responsibility to keep
themselves informed of such potentially useful (indeed, essential)
bits of knowledge?

In the greater scheme of things, it really doesn't matter what one
chooses to believe.  What matters is learning how to use the tools we
choose to use.

It is unfortunate that we have to be so concerned with various
security and privacy issues, but since these tools (PCs with their OSs
and other software) are not entirely safe and/or secure *out of the
box* with regards to what might come in to them, invited or not, from
the Internet, I still *believe* that there's no real substitute for a
bit of end user education.

No amount of protective software will eliminate the necessity to learn
something that is necessary to learn. Since our lack of knowledge and
vigilance *can*, and obviously *does* affect others in negative ways,
being willing to learn a thing or two is not just for your own
benefit, but for the benefit of others as well. In that sense, it is
our *responsibility* to learn how to most effectively and "safely" use
these tools we insist upon using.

As far as Anthony's one particular comment above goes...

>> If you don't open attachments,

...I have mixed feelings if a small caveat is not appended. While
*never opening any attachments* will indeed keep one "relatively
safer" than if one were to *never* open any attachment, if the
admonition to not open *any* attachment is taken too literally, the
usefulness of the Internet in this respect can be somewhat diminished
for the end user.

I send and receive "attachments" all the time, and it *can* be a very
convenient *and safe* way to obtain and share various types of files.
Again, the "safe" exchange of attached files of any sort depends upon
how much a person is willing to learn about the potential dangers of
opening certain types of files; whether they be attached to an email
or downloaded in some other way.

--
Melissa

PGP public keys: http://www.kuviahunnihautik.tk/

TB! v2.12.00 on Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2