Hello Nick Dutton,

> Assuming that your bases were corrupted because Windows had not
> written its cached image of your files to disk when the PC died, you
> could perhaps disable "write caching" on the external drive?
> It's under the disk's properties, then Hardware->Properties->Policies.

> This will ensure that writes are committed immediately to disk. It's
> supposed to reduce performance, but I've never noticed any impact when
> I use it on my second *data* drive.

This was set, but the power was removed during a write to several
message bases.  They're gone, so it is back to the week old backup.

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

Quote for this martian cycle:
"Oxymoron: Ignorance of the law."

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Against HTML Mail
\ /   If it aint a webpage it shouldn't be HTML.
 X    Say NO! to bloatmail - ban HTML mail!
/ \   Ask Spikey, he hates everything (HTML),
      especially the new AOL implementation!

Composed & sent using TheBat! v2.12.00, hamstrung
by Windows XP 5.1, Build 2600 Service Pack 2
on a Toshiba Satellite P25-S5261 / P4-3.2GHz with
2GB RAM / 200GB HDD (100GB X2)