Hello Thomas,

> Looks to me like the bankers' codes. That's based on SWIFT, which uses
> only low-ASCII charaters. But in emails people like to use the symbol,
> such as HK$ instead of HKD, ¥ instead of JYE, or € instead of EUR. And
> why not? Email offers the choice. You can even write in Chinese these
> days (but I won't bore you with the Yuan symbol).

May not be relevant to thread till now but how good is TB's unicode
support even now. Unicode text in some languages has never displayed
well in TB though a CC of the same mail to my other account displays
perfectly in ThunderBird (coincidentally also TB) so it cannot be
something like some fonts that my system is missing. At least in the
Message header above the Message body if I click on the Fields
displayed, the gibberish becomes readable but never in the text of the
email.

See screen:
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/07/142/15/TB.JPG
http://img14.imgspot.com/u/07/142/16/TB2.JPG

Sorry for going away from the Euro symbol but we were on character
displays and this has been my long standing problem and I will be glad
to have some suggestions.

 Mean