> On Wednesday, September 17, 2008, 21:13:23, Dan Lester wrote:

>> Three years.  My wife handles the money, and she now pays almost
>> everything electronically, except for a couple that won't handle that.
>> Those get dropped at the post office.

> Interesting. Checks vanished practically overnight here when banks
> stopped giving guarantee on them about 15 years ago, and everything
> moved to electronic transactions.

I still know many people who don't have computers, and/or don't trust
the internet at all.  As has been said on the list, the net is safer
than most other places for money transactions, but old ideas die hard.
I always carry some cash, but haven't personally written a check in
several years, and as noted, wife rarely does.

I will say that checks here are electronically verified in most
stores. They're scanned quickly, and checked against your account (the
store just gets an OK, no details).  And in some bigger stores, it is
done as an EFT, just as if you'd given them a debit card; in those
cases they just hand the check back to you.

Lots of changes everywhere.

dan

--
The road goes on forever and the party never ends. REK, Jr.
Dan Lester, Boise, ID