Hello List,

On Saturday, November 15, 2008, 9:43:28 PM, Jack wrote:

> But let me make sure I understand what you're doing here. Your command
> line seems to indicate that the /e switch causes REGEDIT to launch and
> automatically create a file called "thebat.reg" which will contain the
> key called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\RIT, correct? If so, where is
> this file stored since no drive or directory(folder) is specified?

It save the reg file in the directory the batch file was launched
from.

> On the other hand, if you have TB perform an automatic backup every
> night doesn't that make your efforts unnecessary? I am assuming that
> restoring TB from a TB backup, from within TB automatically takes care
> of the registry info.

The backup save the Bat directory and its sub folders.
After a Windows re-install the original directory is still there (it's
on the D drive) so I just double click the previous night's reg file
and I'm back in business. If for any reason the original is lost or
corrupt I can just copy it back from the backup.

> On the third hand, if I were to import the entire "The Bat!" folder
> from the off-site Carbonite backup couldn't I also import the
> registry? I assume the registry is a file contained somewhere within
> the bowels of Vista and if so, may be contained in the Carbonite
> backup.

That's not an easy thing to do. The registry is being read/written to
several times a second so it's been updated many times by the time you
log on. You can't over-write it with a backup (except in safe mode you
can boot from a previous good copy) and regedit only reads the live
registry.

> Well, I'm not sure. I have not tried using the import function in the
> TOOLS menu to access the Carbonite backup. That's a possibility and
> I'll try it.

You need to do that before your backup is over-written by the missing
messages version.

> I'm too old for all this. I long for the days when you could open the
> hood(bonnet) of a car and see the ground on both sides of the engine.

Oh yes :-)

--
Best regards
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK