Thank you for the detailed answers Thomas, I have some follow-ups
below....

--
 Andrew                            mailto:aweb...@wwwebbers.com

Sunday, August 2, 2009, 2:29:55 AM, you wrote:

AW>> It may be that I never quite cleaned up the problem, I'm not sure.
AW>> Typically when I ran the Maintenance Centre, it would find lots of
AW>> errors in lots of folders, then I'd end up with empty folders. :( I
AW>> guess I get part????.bin files, though I haven't done anything with
AW>> them.

> The problem with on-the-fly encryption (OTFE) is that you can't do
> anything with them. I have not managed to import or access the mails
> inside.

So even if I'm running TB! with the same OTFE password, it won't let
me import those renamed part????.bin files!? I had inferred from
RITL's answer that I could import them using the password. :( I
certainly can't do anything with them using TextPad, which seems to be
how the Help screens recommend.

AW>> I've got several .TBK backups available, and I have 32 part????.bin
AW>> files in various folders. What's the best way to get the most files
AW>> back?

> Uninstall TheBat! and reinstall as "Plain". Do not use OTFE. If you
> now restore from backup, your mails will be there. If the manitenance
> center resilts in *.bin files, then you  can rename these files to
> .EBB and import into TB!.

All the .TBK backups were created with OTFE turned on. If I reinstall
without OTFE, will I be able to restore from those existing .TBKs? Or
are you suggesting specifically to do a backup _today_ without OTFE
(after reinstalling) and then do the Maintenance Centre?

> Obviously, you would have to move them first, because the file names
> already exist in that folder. However, in my experience it does not
> work with OTFE, but they might have changed something in the meantime,
> so I suggest to try this first before you uninstall and reinstall.

I will try doing the import from a renamed part????.bin and see what
happens.

AW>> Does this seem reasonable? Will restoring from a backup overwrite
AW>> what I already have

> Yes.

Just to be entirely clear, it overwrites the emails that match, or
clears out the folder and replaces with the contents of the backup?

AW>> (if so, what do I do?)?

> I hope you leave messages on the server.

I've started doing that but only recently.

> In fact, it shouldn't be happpening. I suggest you check your harddisk
> for mechanical failures, I think FDISK does the job but please wait
> for experts here to contradict me.

I suspect you're right, I need to verify the HD as a precaution.

Thanks again!
=aw