Hello Andrew,

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:50:30 -0400 GMT (03/Aug/09, 2:50 AM +0700 GMT),
Andrew Webber wrote:

>> The problem with on-the-fly encryption (OTFE) is that you can't do
>> anything with them. I have not managed to import or access the mails
>> inside.

AW> So even if I'm running TB! with the same OTFE password, it won't let
AW> me import those renamed part????.bin files!?

I haven't succeeded. But that was with version 3.x.

AW> I had inferred from RITL's answer that I could import them using
AW> the password. :(

Did you try?

AW> I certainly can't do anything with them using TextPad, which seems
AW> to be how the Help screens recommend.

The messages bases under OTFE are encrypted.

AW>>> I've got several .TBK backups available, and I have 32 part????.bin
AW>>> files in various folders. What's the best way to get the most files
AW>>> back?

>> Uninstall TheBat! and reinstall as "Plain". Do not use OTFE. If you
>> now restore from backup, your mails will be there. If the manitenance
>> center resilts in *.bin files, then you  can rename these files to
>> .EBB and import into TB!.

AW> All the .TBK backups were created with OTFE turned on. If I
AW> reinstall without OTFE, will I be able to restore from those
AW> existing .TBKs?

Yes, I understand a Plain TB! can restore from a .TBK that was created
with OTFE.

AW> Or are you suggesting specifically to do a backup _today_ without
AW> OTFE (after reinstalling) and then do the Maintenance Centre?

You will need to backup before reinstalling, otherwise you won't have
any mails or settings in the new plain TB!.

>> Obviously, you would have to move them first, because the file names
>> already exist in that folder. However, in my experience it does not
>> work with OTFE, but they might have changed something in the meantime,
>> so I suggest to try this first before you uninstall and reinstall.

AW> I will try doing the import from a renamed part????.bin and see what
AW> happens.

OK, let us know. I am curious now.

AW>>> Does this seem reasonable? Will restoring from a backup overwrite
AW>>> what I already have

>> Yes.

AW> Just to be entirely clear, it overwrites the emails that match, or
AW> clears out the folder and replaces with the contents of the backup?

I haven't restored into an existing folder yet. My guess is clear and
replace.

AW>>> (if so, what do I do?)?

>> I hope you leave messages on the server.

AW> I've started doing that but only recently.

>> In fact, it shouldn't be happpening. I suggest you check your harddisk
>> for mechanical failures, I think FDISK does the job but please wait
>> for experts here to contradict me.

AW> I suspect you're right, I need to verify the HD as a precaution.

If I were you, this would be my first action. There is no point in
backing up, reinstalling, and restoring, if you'll have the same
problem again due to a HD problem.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Message reply created with The Bat! 4.2.9.4