Hello Tim,

On Monday, March 22, 2010 you wrote:

>> In days of yore when this question was asked of the list, the reply
>> was frequently "K9" (http://keir.net/k9.html) which I have used
>> since then.  Upon request K9 displays ALL received email and gives
>> *YOU* the choice to flag selected messages as spam.  It became
>> routine for me to fetch my emails and then immediately look at what
>> K9 had for me.  I would then flag those spam messages as such so
>> that K9 would learn what to look for next time.

>> Do a search for K9 at:
>> http://www.mail-archive.com/tbudl%40thebat.dutaint.com/ and see what
>> all the discussions were at the time.

>> My incidence of spam now is almost non-existent.  I *MIGHT* receive
>> one or two spam emails per month now.  Is it because of K9? I don't
>> know and I don't care but I'm stick'n with K9.

TH> Thanks Jack, one quick question: when K9 determines spam from the tray
TH> icon  for  instance:  New: 3 Good: 1 Spam: 2, why do the spam continue
TH> through to TB?

K9 simply adds the word "SPAM" (or whatever you tell it to add) to the subject
line *before* the message gets to TB!. It doesn't do anything else (except
learn from experience).  Once the message reaches your (my) inbox I have a
filter set up which routes any incoming message with the word "Spam" anywhere
in the subject line into a folder called amusingly enough, "Spam."  I then
confirm that they are indeed spam and manually delete them from the "Spam"
folder.

Also each time you fetch your email you have to open K9 and tell it which of
the incoming messages are spam.  From then on it will flag (with the word
"Spam" in the subject) any messages which match or closely match the criteria
it uses to identify spam.

I seem to recall that K9 is much more sophisticated that I'm making it out to
be. It's been so long since I started using K9 that I've forgotten just about
everything I ever knew about it.  That's why it's important to read the
information contained at the http://keir.net/k9.html site and the discussions
found in TB!'s archives.

--
Jack LaRosa                  mailto:jlar...@charter.net

Sticking with with The Bat! ver: 4.0.38 for now.
Operating? with Windows XP Pro ver 5 build 2600 Service Pack 3