    Jim> I imagine it might be driver specific, and now I see that the
    Jim> ethernet interfaces on the servers I have available for testing
    Jim> have a more diverse set of drivers than I was aware. Using
    Jim> ethtool and checking a few different interfaces, I see drivers
    Jim> bnx2, tg3, and forcedeth. I seem to be having problems with
    Jim> bnx2. Is this a known issue?

If you take the resulting pcap file and run it again through the same
filter, does it drop the unwanted packets?

I ask because that might rule out something high-level that was
indeterminate.

I don't know what a bnx2 driver is.  Based upon the other things you
mention, I'm guessing this is Linux. (You should say. Tcpdump runs on
dozens of Unixes)

Does bnx2 do any hardware offload?
Is there any 802.3 encoding occuring (VLAN, QOS, etc) on that link?

] m...@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.