On Mar 18, 2010, at 8:20 AM, Eloy Paris wrote:

> "pcap_create() and pcap_activate() were not available in versions of
> libpcap prior to 1.0; if you are writing an application that must work on
> versions of libpcap prior to 1.0, either use pcap_open_live() to get a handle
> for a live capture or, if you want to be able to use the additional
> capabilities offered by using pcap_create() and pcap_activate(), use an
> autoconf(1) script or some other configuration script to check whether the
> libpcap 1.0 APIs are available and use them only if they are."

That pretty much sums it up.  If you want to be able to control open-time-only
properties *not* supported by pcap_open_live(), such as monitor mode and
capture buffer size (for *some* packet capture mechanism the buffer size could
be set after the device is opened, but BPF is not such a mechanism, so we
needed something that could set it before the open finishes), you would have to
use pcap_create() and pcap_activate().

> Guess that's what happens when you read the documentation once and never go
> back to it after new library versions are released.

Note that the man pages were reorganized for libpcap 1.0.0 - instead of a
single big pcap(3) man page that documents everything, there's a pcap(3PCAP)
man page that discusses libpcap as a whole, and individual man pages for
particular routines.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.