On Thu, 15 Feb 2018, Sevan Janiyan wrote:

On 15 Feb 2018, at 00:37, Paul Goyette <p...@whooppee.com> wrote:

If you can boot _something_ then boot -d to get an initial breakpoint
entry into ddb.  Then just update the global variable db_onpanic to 1

Ah, no functioning keyboard when in ddb hence wanting to set a default
command. e.g in this scenario I have 2 amd64 apple laptops which can't
boot normally & panic. As I have a functioning keyboard at the boot
loader I can disable smp and boot one of the systems, otherwise I'm
completely stuck. I can imagine crashing and not being able to request
a backtrace is a common occurrence, and setting this will improve the
bug reports we receive, as the user will have more information at hand
by default. In return there's one less thing to try on their part to
extract more information if required.

Sounds like a good case for a custom kernel.  Not sure that such a
specific situation would warrant turning this on for everyone...

In any case, rather than setting the command-on-enter string via

        OPTIONS DDB_COMMAND_ON_ENTER="bt"

I might/would suggest

        OPTIONS DDB_ONPANIC=2

| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |