> I want to ask you about vmmap changes introduced here and in your
> presentation http://openbsd.org/papers/tdose_memalloc/presentation.html
>
> 1. http://openbsd.org/papers/tdose_memalloc/presentation.html#%2816%29
> "Browsers, java & mono breakage"
> You pointed to some buggy software. If I understand correctly, you try
> to "workaround" these bugs by using of "VM map address selectors".
> If it is correct then I don't see reasons for this code and it's
> "workarounds overhead" in production (web/db server, firewall,
> router... ) where these buggy apps don't used at all.
> Secondly vmmap becomes more complex and harder to understand/debug/develop.
> Maybe these "workarounds" must be #ifdef'ed and enabled only by some
> kernel option?

Ah, so we'd have a very complex subsystem of the kernel which is on for
some people, and off for other people.

Kind of like shipping two seperate operating systems.  With different
failure conditions and more effort required to maintain the code quality.

That's completely retarded.

> 2. http://openbsd.org/papers/tdose_memalloc/presentation.html#%2828%29
> "Pivot algorithm"
> For what reason this code used for? Why we can't select some random
> entry from freespace and some random offset (as you say in
> http://openbsd.org/papers/tdose_memalloc/presentation.html#%2827%29)?

No, you can't pick a completely random location.  A lot of software
people want to run breaks.