On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org>
wrote:
> On 2012/04/24 16:27, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
>> 23 P0P?QP5P;Q  2012B P3. 21:37 P?P>P;Q P7P>P2P0Q P5P;Q Matthew Dempsky
>> <matt...@dempsky.org> P=P0P?P8Q P0P;:
>> > There's no reason for the kernel to track the system's timezone
>> > anymore. B This is handled in userspace by the TZ environment variable,
>> > and POSIX doesn't even define what happens if you pass a non-NULL
>> > pointer as the 'struct timezone *' argument to gettimeofday() (and
>> > settimeofday() has never been in POSIX).
>> >
>> > The diff below:
>> > B - eliminates tz
>> > B - adds a compile-time check to detect configs with non-0 timezone
>> > B - changes settimeofday() to return EINVAL when given a non-0 timezone
>> > B - eliminates the userconf code for changing/printing the timezone
>> > B - removes clock and msdosfs code that looks at the kernel timezone
>> >
>> > After this, we'll be able to move gettimeofday() and settimeofday()
>> > into libc as user-space wrappers around clock_gettime() and
>> > clock_settime(), respectively.
>> >
>> > Any objections?
>>
>> This will somewhat break dual-booting machines with Windblows as
>> second OS. :( But I'm not a developer and do not have any vote, of
>> course. :)
>
> It seems simpler to use NTP to fetch a correct time, than to build a custom
> kernel.

I hope to find a way to keep Windows time unmodified while OpenBSD adjusts.
i.e its currently documented in the FAQ
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq8.html#TimeZone

The installer asks for the TZ and adjusts /etc/localtime but until I
changed the option "TIMEZONE=value" in kernel the clock was off

thanks