On 2012 Apr 24 (Tue) at 16:27:00 +0400 (+0400), Vadim Zhukov wrote:
:23 P0P?QP5P;Q 2012B P3. 21:37 P?P>P;QP7P>P2P0QP5P;Q Matthew Dempsky
:<matt...@dempsky.org> P=P0P?P8QP0P;:
:> There's no reason for the kernel to track the system's timezone
:> anymore. B This is handled in userspace by the TZ environment variable,
:> and POSIX doesn't even define what happens if you pass a non-NULL
:> pointer as the 'struct timezone *' argument to gettimeofday() (and
:> settimeofday() has never been in POSIX).
:>
:> The diff below:
:> B - eliminates tz
:> B - adds a compile-time check to detect configs with non-0 timezone
:> B - changes settimeofday() to return EINVAL when given a non-0 timezone
:> B - eliminates the userconf code for changing/printing the timezone
:> B - removes clock and msdosfs code that looks at the kernel timezone
:>
:> After this, we'll be able to move gettimeofday() and settimeofday()
:> into libc as user-space wrappers around clock_gettime() and
:> clock_settime(), respectively.
:>
:> Any objections?
:
:This will somewhat break dual-booting machines with Windblows as
:second OS. :( But I'm not a developer and do not have any vote, of
:course. :)
:--
:  WBR,
:  Vadim Zhukov
:

Windows 7 does not have that limitation, you can configure it to use UTC
as the BIOS clock.

--
The [Ford Foundation] is a large body of money completely surrounded by
people who want some.