2013/12/9 Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 19:49, Vadim Zhukov wrote:
>> So what's the decision?
>>
>> Are there any objections still? If not, can I have a pair of okays?
>> KDE4 really needs a decision to be made: people already had apps
>> crashing without this diff, so I've put a dirty hack to stop KDE using
>> of process-shared semaphores. But there could be more dragons, in
>> other software.
>
> If we go back to returning ENOMEM or whatever in sem_init, does that
> fix KDE?

If we stop pretending we support shared unnamed semaphores, then, yes,
this will help KDE. But I cannot gurantee there will be no other
fallout. This needs a deep scan of all ports source as minimum...

> I don't mean to be a dick about this, but in general here's how we do
> things. If a feature is added and it introduces a regression, we
> revert. We don't dig the hole deeper by committing an even more
> intrusive diff.

I'm agree, this is a good practice.

> I'm not saying the diff is bad or can't be made to work, but I don't
> like using "KDE needs this now" to rush it in if there are other
> options. I also don't think the thing you're doing with the spinlock
> is something we want.

This was done to avoid polluting exported symbols. It's ugly, yes. I
do not see any better option that doesn't involve rewriting entire
locking in librthread, though; I hope that I just miss something
obvious.

> I want time to get that right.

I'd rather disable shared semaphores totally, until all issues are
fixed, then. I don't see a point in having half-working stuff in tree
which gets picked up and used.

Yes, it was my bad too that I didn't thought about sharing semaphores
via mapped memory in the first place.

--
  WBR,
  Vadim Zhukov