Hi Ingo,

On 10 August 2014 15:54, Ingo Schwarze <schwa...@usta.de> wrote:
> Portability goo clutters code and reduces readability, and hence
> endangers correctness and security ...
> Making a portable version is *impossible*
> without some clutter (even though the portability goo in OpenBSD
> sub-projects is often less heavy than the clutter you find in some
> other project's master repos).

I understand the reasoning, but for LibreSSL it seems a shame since
the portable "goo" is so minimal. Unlike OpenSSH, which has by
necessity tons of hooks for platform behaviour, the only changes so
far in LibreSSL portable are adding an implementation of OpenBSD
functions like getentropy(), and some headers. Having those platform
implementations sitting there in a "compat" directory doesn't make it
harder to audit the code, does it?

Oh well! The project will work it out if it becomes a common problem.

My main question is still unanswered, namely what the ideas are for
the API exposing the RSA PSS/OAEP MGF1 hash. Should I send in a patch
porting over the OpenSSL 1.0.2 API for it? Better, I'd ideally like to
split out libcrypto into more modular components so that LibreSSL can
be used without all the horrific layers of goo (ECDH_METHOD structure
and other useless clutter!). The OpenSSL API goo can remain as a way
to access the underlying crypto functions, but the internal API should
be cleaner. I'd be interested in making those changes for the RSA and
EC code.

Nick