> Read my message again. I'm suggesting to turn xhci off in the kernel,
> not the BIOS.

Alright, so here's an update. This Xeon-D system is able to be booted and
installed using your suggestions:

In BIOS:
CPU Configuration -> Cores Enabled -> set to 1

In UKC:
disable acpi
disable xhci

Here's the interesting part: Once installed (with either 5.8 or 5.9-beta) I can
re-enable all 8 cores in the BIOS and the machine will continue to boot
properly (ie, cpu0 will be boot CPU, not an application CPU as before)

So, aside from the understandably unsupported 10Gb NICs on this (the integrated
1Gb NICs don't appear to have problems), there are 3 issues:

1) cpu0 showing up as an application CPU when booting a install image, but not
with an installed image and thus requiring CPUs to be reduced to 1 and then
bumped back up to 8.
2) acpi needs to be disabled (reasons unknown to me why this needs to happen)
3) xhci driver needs to be looked at to see why it locks up and stops kernel
progression on boot

Being a relative noob to this area of OpenBSD, I'm willing to try some patches
if anyone has the inclination to try some ideas. I think the Xeon-D would be
great for OpenBSD-based VPN appliances and such.

/dale