> From: Dale Ghent <da...@elemental.org>
> Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 13:45:49 -0500
>
> > Read my message again. I'm suggesting to turn xhci off in the kernel,
> > not the BIOS.
>
> Alright, so here's an update. This Xeon-D system is able to be booted and
> installed using your suggestions:
>
> In BIOS:
> CPU Configuration -> Cores Enabled -> set to 1
>
> In UKC:
> disable acpi

At that point, all bets are off.  Disabling acpi is useful as a
debugging tool, but don't expect to see a fully functional system
after doing this on modern hardware.

> disable xhci
>
> Here's the interesting part: Once installed (with either 5.8 or
> 5.9-beta) I can re-enable all 8 cores in the BIOS and the machine
> will continue to boot properly (ie, cpu0 will be boot CPU, not an
> application CPU as before)
>
> So, aside from the understandably unsupported 10Gb NICs on this (the
> integrated 1Gb NICs don't appear to have problems), there are 3
> issues:
>
> 1) cpu0 showing up as an application CPU when booting a install
>    image, but not with an installed image and thus requiring CPUs to be
>    reduced to 1 and then bumped back up to 8.
> 2) acpi needs to be disabled (reasons unknown to me why this needs to happen)
> 3) xhci driver needs to be looked at to see why it locks up and
>    stops kernel progression on boot
>
> Being a relative noob to this area of OpenBSD, I'm willing to try
> some patches if anyone has the inclination to try some ideas. I
> think the Xeon-D would be great for OpenBSD-based VPN appliances and
> such.

Can you please send me a dmesg as well as the acpidump output for this
machine?  That will give me a chance at figuring out what is going
wrong.

Cheers,

Mark